Raglan Driver Training
Tel: 01600 740 277
Frequntly Asked Questions

Do I need to take a test?

Since January 1st 1997 anyone passing a driving test must take a separate category B+E driving test if they tow in excess of 750Kg MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass). In our experience this encompasses virtually every trailer on a farm, as well as caravans, horseboxes, boats and many other trailers.

How long is the test and how much does it cost?

The B+E test is approximately 1.25 hours long and the DVSA fee is currently £115 (accurate as of November 2014.)

Where can I take the test?

DVSA have test centres throughout the UK. RDT use local DVSA Centres and Customer Approved Sites.

How long will it take me to reach test standard?

Obviously every individual is different. If you can already reverse competently and your driving is of a reasonable standard 1 ½ days training with a test at the end of the second day may suffice – however an assessment prior to starting yor course will better determine this.

What documents do I need?

From January 2015 only the Photocard part of your licence is required for test, Please ensure your photo is in date – they only last 10 years before they have to be renewed.

In the unlikely event of you holding an old style paper licence a valid passport must be produced.

Can I practice towing – outside of lessons?

Yes. So long as your accompanying driver has B+E entitlement, and has held it for 3 years or more. You must display L plates on the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer.

Why use Raglan Driver Training?

Over the passed 14 years RDT has helped 1200 customers pass both the standard driving test and the B+E test. RDT has experiece of working with all sorts of towed equipment from agricultural machinery to horse boxes, boat trailers to utility trailers, catering trailers to caravans.

RDT uses DVSA Approved Instructors and we are Pass Plus registered as well as members of the Institute of Advanced Motorists.